18 holes, 72 par, 6,742 yards
In 1997, the Jubilee Course celebrated its centenary. In the space of 100 years, it had developed from a 12-hole basic layout into one of the toughest tests of golf at St Andrews.
Created on a narrow strip of land between the New Course and the sea, the Jubilee was originally a 12 hole course intended for ladies and beginners. It was the result of an initiative by the Town Council who had re-acquired the Links under the 1894 Links Act.
It was extended to 18 holes in 1946 and was now 6,020 yards long. In 1988 the re-design of the Jubilee to championship standards was carried out by Donald Steel of Cotton, Pennink, Steel & Partners, golf course architects. The teeing grounds were raised, not only providing wonderful views of the Links, but also exposing the golfers to the winds which sweep in from the bay. Mr. Steel’s redesigned course was 6,805 yards and now a real test for all golfers.
The course was officially re-opened when Curtis Strange, the US Open champion at the time, drove a ball from the first tee in September 1989.